Thursday, April 24, 2008

Loads of Questions!

The last couple days have been really interesting with Gideon! Keith's friend Mike Rice was home from Paw Paw MI because his uncle passed away and so we went to the funeral home. I wanted to prepare Gideon before we left so we sat down outside on the driveway and had a little talk about heaven and dieing. We had talked before but I just wanted to make sure he understood what was going on. I told him about how when we die we close our eyes and when we open them, we are in heaven with a new body but we leave our old worn out body behind and sometimes people want to look at the old body so we put it in a pretty box and people come and see it and the family to tell them we're sorry that they won't be able to see their uncle for awhile, until they go to heaven. Well of course this brought up a ton of questions: How do we get to heaven? How's come we want new bodies?and my favorite that I didn't know how to answer because there was some truth to it...."Why do we want to look at an old body?" He seemed to eventually understand the concept and with the news that if he was good we could go to get a Pizza Sub at subway afterward, he was a bit distracted! Well, we got to the funeral home and walked in, talked with family and then walked to the front to "see the old body" as we were walking up there I was trying to tell Gideon we were going to see the body now and he was saying very loudly..."where is it?" " I want to see the body" As we approached the casket he looked in at the body and then around at the casket, the flowers and the room and then proclaimed in an excited really loud voice " IS THIS HEAVEN?" Keith and I could barely keep straight faces!
This morning, when Gideon got up I was starting my devotions for the day. He was asking me what things were, what book I was reading and what that big green book was...I told him, "it's my Bible...it's like your big Bible in your room except without the pictures...it has all of those stories in it...like the one about Gideon." He wanted to hear the story of Gideon again and so I looked it up and told him about it. I told him how we named him Gideon because Gideon was not the strongest or bravest man but God still used him and he knew where to go for help when he was afraid and didn't think he could defeat the Midianites. I asked Gideon if he knew who to ask for help when he was afraid of something or afraid to do something. He said "I ask Jesus". That's right I said...so the next time when you are afraid of a bee or a bug or afraid to try something new you just can ask God to help you and he will come and help right? Gideon looked at me and answered " Yah....so if I am afraid of a bug...God will help me SMASH the bug and kill it like the Midianites?" "Yes" I answered....I guess!! At least he got the concept!!

No comments:

Powered By Blogger